For information on short-term visas, please click here.



scroll down


ENTRY FOR LONG STAY (period exceeding 90 days)

Regulations on a stay exceeding 90 days fall within the competence of national authorities, therefore there is no uniform routine among the Schengen Member States. Foreign nationals requesting entry to Hungary with a purpose of a long stay may submit a residence permit application. In case of successful application, s/he will get a visa authorizing him/her to a single entry for receiving a residence permit and to stay for maximum 30 days in Hungary. The decision on the residence permit falls within the competence of the regional directorates of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing.


General requirements:

1. a wholly and legibly completed, signed “residence permit” application form and additionally the relevant Appendix;

2. valid passport (the validity of which has to exceed that of the requested visa by at least 3 months);

3. 1 passport-size colour photo (not older than 6 months);

4. supporting documents of the purpose of stay;

5. justification of the permit of return or further travel;

6. supporting documents of the accommodation;

7. the documents certifying subsistence in Hungary;

8. health insurance or equal financial means.


Depending on the purpose of entry, minimum the following documents are needed for the application for residence permit:

In the case of a residence permit for the purpose of employment:

1. a work permit,

2. a contract of employment,

3. a document certifying occupancy in Hungary, and

4. a certificate on how the person will make a living until he receives his first salary (bank account statement, employer’s certificate that he will pay an advance to the person, etc.)


5. a certificate on the character of the gainful activity (the articles of association),

6. the resolution on the court registration of the enterprise,

7. a document certifying occupancy in Hungary,

8. a certificate on the acquisition of the qualification necessary for filling the position,

9. a declaration, certificate on the (expected) yearly income,

10. a certificate of the amount of money at the person’s disposal in Hungary,

11. the simplified balance sheet of the previous year (for a firm already operating),

12. a certificate that the firm has no public debt (for a firm already operating),

13. if the firm has Hungarian employees: their employment contracts,

14. in case of a new enterprise: a brief business plan.

In the case of a residence permit for educational purposes:

1. a certificate of school attendance,

2. a document certifying occupancy in Hungary (the document certifying accommodation in a student hostel or the tenancy contract with a duplicate of the title deed), and

3. the documents certifying subsistence in Hungary (bank account statement; or the declaration of the parents that they assume coverage of all costs of the stay in Hungary; or the document certifying the scholarship).

4. Confirmation of the school that the applicant is exempt from the payment of school fees or that he/she has already paid the tuition fees.

5. For family members who accompany the student on long term (not only for the first few weeks but more than 90 days), they need to fill the main form + Appendix 2 (family reunification), and attach all the necessary documents listed in the Appendix.

- For further details, please consult this website


STIPENDIUM HUNGARICUM scholarship students:

1. Residence permit form + Appendix 13, incl. one passport photo attached to the form,

2. Valid passport,

3. Letter of Award,

4. Letter of Acceptance,

5. Notification of accommodation form for those who indicate private accommodation (i.e. not required for students in dormitories and commercial accommodation),

6. For students in dormitories and those booking commercial accommodation (hotel), a confirmation about it,

7. A parental consent form for those who at the time of the application are underage students.

8. For family members who accompany the student on long term (not only for the first few weeks but more than 90 days), they need to fill the main form + Appendix 2 (family reunification), and attach all the necessary documents listed in the Appendix.

In the case of a residence permit for family reunification:

1. a document certifying the existence of accommodation in Hungary,

2. a document certifying the existence of health insurance in Hungary,

3. a document certifying means of subsistence in Hungary,

4. a marriage certificate / birth certificate / any other document attesting the existence of family relationship (duplicate)

5. a copy of the passport of the relative residing in Hungary.

6. documents evindencing the conditions of exit (valid passport for returning to the country of origin, + a valid ticket for departure, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket)

7. Moreover, a minor third-country national shall provide proof that his/her parent or legal representative gave permission for his/her stay in Hungary, for the duration of the planned stay. Parental consent may be evidenced by a statement executed in a private document representing conclusive evidence or an authentic instrument, with Hungarian or English translation.

- For further details, please consult this website

In the case of a residence permit for medical treatment:

1. the name and address of the health institution providing the treatment,

2. a certificate of the character and the expected duration of the medical treatment,

3. a certificate of the financial coverage for the medical treatment and the stay in Hungary,

4. the certification of occupancy in Hungary provided that the applicant does not stay in the medical institution,

5. in case of a minor child or a family member in need of help: the certification of the accommodation and the subsistence of the accompanying person.

In the case of a residence permit for research:

1. contract with an accredited research institute

2. if the researcher does not have sufficient financial means the research institute must assume an obligation, that in case of expulsion (due to the overstay of the researcher) all costs will be refund by the institute.

In the case of a residence permit for voluntary work:

1. contract with a Hungarian receiving institution, organization (church, library, town hall, etc.).


The consul may request further documents in addition to those listed above.

The orginal documents shall be attached to the applications. If the applicant wishes to get it back, the copy of the original document also should be attached.

The consulate reserves the right to examine the authenticity of the presented data and the submitted documents. Presentation of fales data will lead to the refusal of the visa application.


Processing time

As a general rule, the regional directorate of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing processes the application within 30 days.

The following applications shall be evaluated immediately within not more than 8 days:

1. applications of minors and their accompanying legal guardians for a residence permit, if the substantiated purpose of travel is medical treatment for the minor;

2. applications for a residence permit of persons with custody of an unaccompanied minor who are arriving to escort the minor home;

3. applications for a residence permit, if the entry and stay of the applicant is desired on the grounds of substantial national interest of Hungary in the field of economics, culture, science or sports.

The directorates shall make a decision within 15 days if the purpose of entry of the third country nationals is:

1. study or

2. research.

In case of refusal, the applicant may lodge an appeal within 8 days from the receipt of notification thereof. The appeal shall be submitted either to the regional directorate of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing, which processed the application or to the consular officer. Appeals are decided by the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing within 30 days.


Records of data, data protection

According to Article 96 (1) of the Act on entry and stay of third country nationals (Act II of 2007), the immigration authority shall process the following data of third-country nationals in connection with applications for residence permits and the residence permits issued:

a) natural identification data;

b) facial photograph;

c) travel document particulars;

d) the purpose of entry and the planned duration of stay, and the country of previous usual residence.

e) particulars of the documents provided in support of the conditions required for entry and stay;

f) the fact and reasons for the refusal of a new residence permit or for the extension of an existing one, and for the withdrawal of a residence permit;

g) the number, serial number and validity period of the residence permit issued (extended);

h) the date of first entry and final exit, and the country of next usual residence.

i) address of the place of accommodation.

j) facial images and fingerprint images taken in accordance with Regulation (EC) No. 1030/2002 laying down a uniform format for residence permits for third-country nationals and Council Regulation (EC) No. 380/2008 of 18 April 2008 amending Regulation (EC) No. 1030/2002 laying down a uniform format for residence permits for third-country nationals.

The immigration authority may disclose data of the type of data specified by law from the immigration sub- registers to the following bodies to the extent required to discharge their duties conferred upon them by legal regulation: law enforcement agencies; investigation authorities; national security services; the refugee authority; tax authorities; the authorities participating in immigration proceedings; the customs authority; the authority handling citizenship-related duties; the body operating the register of personal data and address records of citizens; the employment and labor authority; the occupational safety authority; and the public health authority; the pension insurance administration agency; the bodies of municipal governments vested with regulatory capacity; and document bureaus.

The consulate may disclose data from its register to law enforcement and criminal investigation agencies, the national security agencies and the refugee authority, to agencies specified by law or international agreement within the type of specific information defined therein, furthermore to Schengen / EU consulates in the jurisdiction.

If requested by the applicant, the consulate and the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing within its jurisdiction shall provide information regarding his/her data on record, unless the Aliens Act prohibits the disclosure of such data. If the consulate determines, whether by the initiative of the applicant or ex officio, that any particular data on record is incorrect or has changed, it takes prompt measures to have such incorrect data corrected or removed from the records, whichever is appropriate.

For further information, please visit the website of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing.